Domain means-Do your main name, means gives your website a unique name.
A domain name is your website name which is always be unique, no two websites have the same name. It is used by users to search for your website on the World Wide Web.
A domain name is basically the address where Internet users can access your website, its same like your home address, every address is unique. A domain name is used for finding and identifying website on the Internet. Computers use IP addresses, which are a series of number. However, it is hard for humans to remember for long the strings of numbers. To overcome from this situation, domain names were developed and used to identify websites on the Internet rather than using IP addresses.
Format of domain Name:
Domain names must only use the letters a to z, the numbers 0 to 9, and the hyphen (-) character. If the hyphen character is used in a domain name, it cannot be the first character in the name. For example, -myownwebsitedomainame.com would not be allowed, but my-ownwebsitedomainnname.com would be used. A domain name can be any combination of letters and numbers. Each one comes with a domain extension such as .com,. org and many more. They are all unique.
Now the question is what is URL. URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator, it is also called the address bar where user can type the website domain name like:
this is a complete URL which points a unique website. As I said earlier every website has unique IP address. Now the question is that how a user can know his own website IP address. So for that just click on the start button of computer and in the search box type cmd, cmd stands for command prompt, here you can type the command:
lets clear with example like:
After pressing enter it will show you the IP address of your website.
One thing is important that don’t write http// or https:// only type your website name.
Now discuss more on domain name URL like:
https://mywebsite.com or http://mywebsite.com
our domain name is divided into three major parts.
- The Protocol : like http:// or https:// or ftp://
http stands for : Hyper text transfer protocol.
ftp:// stands for: file transfer protocol
- The domain name which is unique, there are so many websites from where you can purchase the domain name. it will costs around Rs. 200 to Rs. 900, the costing of domain is totally depends upon the extension of domain name, means either your domain is .com, .edu, .org, .in etc.
- The extension part: This part is also called the TLD(Top Level Domain). Here user can choose the extension for the domain name. the top level extensions are .com, .org, .in, .net, .co.in, .edu etc.
How to choose the domain extension:
The domain extension is chooses as per our work like:
- .com – commercial
- .net – networking related websites
- .edu – educational institutions or universities or colleges
- .org – non-govt organizations(NGO) or trust
- .in – this extension varies in which country you belongs if you are an indian then .in or if your domain is in united kingdom then .uk etc.
- .co.in – Indian website for commercial or company purpose
Some Key Points:
- The domain name must be registered before you can use it.
- Every domain name is unique.
- No two websites can have the same domain name.
- A domain name is an essential part of having a website
- To launch a website, you’ll also need a unique content and a hosting service provider.
- Owning a domain name from any vendor does not means that hosting is also included.
- You can also create the email id’s from your domain name like: email@example.com
- Email id’s are included while you purchase the domain name.